Prof Laura Piacentini
- Professor of Criminology, the School of Social Work and Social Policy, University of Strathclyde and Associate Director of SCCJR
- Research Staff & Associate Directors
- Phone number:
- 0141 444 8703
- The School of Social Work and Social Policy
University of Strathclyde
Lord Hope Building
St James Road
- External web page:
Laura is Professor of Criminology at the University of Strathclyde. She is a punishment and society scholar and whilst her research is rooted in sociology, it is shaped around the disciplines of criminology, human geography, Russian Area Studies, history, human rights and political science. She has been researching and publishing in the area of contemporary Russian imprisonment for nearly twenty years, having lived and conducted research in numerous prisons.
• Laura is completing a new book from her Leverhulme Fellowship (2015-2017): “Towards a Sociology of Rights Consciousness in Russian Prisons”.
• Laura is PI on a major new ESRC study (2018-2021): “In the Gulag’s Shadow: Producing, Consuming and Perceiving Prisons in the Former Soviet Union” with Dr Gavin Slade (Lead Co-I) University of Nazarbayev, Astana, Kazakhstan and Professor Elena Olmenchenko, Professor of Sociology at the Higher School of Economic, St Petersburg.
• Laura is Co-I on a new AHRC/MRC study (2018-2020): “The Right Health in Prison”. The project compares Scottish and Brazilian health care provision in prisons. It is led by Professor Sally Haw, Stirling University.